Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 221 times)

Offline Boom

• Basement Dweller
  • Jukebox Hero (Stars in their eyes)
  • Changing the world one brick at a time.
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Deathwishez
  • Blockland ID: 9740
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« on: July 02, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »
If anyone is wondering if I've been dead since the beginning of March, you can thank Miyamoto for that (or should I say Eiji Aonuma, since he runs the LoZ department at Nintendo now?).

Anyways, LoZ: BotW is out, and it's glorious. Being an avid fan of the LoZ series, I can definitely say that this one is worth your money. With nearly every LoZ in the past, I've been able to 100% complete it in about 20 hours my first time through without rushing myself. I thought that I could do the same with BotW, but boy was I wrong. 20 hours in, and I had barely dented the story. After a whopping 140 hours, I've finally beaten the story, but I'm only 35% done with the game. There's literally just a ton of things to do.

Six years ago (jesus I'm getting old), I posted about Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This game is still my favorite of the series (and still my favorite game of all time), but Breath of the Wild targets a different style of game, and it exceeds the genre by far.

For those who don't know, LoZ: BotW is an open-world non-linear game (Like Skyrim or Far Cry mixed with Assassin's Creed), where walls are a suggestion and the story is optional. This game attempts to get back to the original roots of the series, and it does a great job doing so. You can definitely feel the sense of adventure the game provides, in a world that's larger than Skyrim and GTA V, clocking in at 23.5 square miles (It's so big, fans have created a Google Maps like view for finding collectibles). Of course, size isn't everything. With all of the collectibles, side quests, Koroks, shines, and more, the map is fairly populated with various activities and points on interest.

For those wanting the game, but not certain if they really want it, allow me to give you some reasons to pick up this game:

1) It's cost effective

As I said, I've clocked a whopping 140 hours into this game, and I'm not even done. Given that I'll probably play through Hero Mode, take a stab at a speed run, and simply beat the game again in a few years time, I'll easily invest over 300 hours into this game.

Given that the game itself cost $60, and the Nintendo Switch costs around $500 (or slightly less than $300 for the Wii U), you're looking at around $1.8 to $1.2 per hour of playtime. Given that other forms of entertainment usually can't beat that, this is a must if you're looking for something to do. Also, if you already own either of the consoles the game runs on (which I did), then you're really only looking at $0.2 per hour of playtime, in which case, why don't you have this game already?

There's tons of things you can do in this game, and several neat mechanics that you won't see in other games. Here's a video showing you some neat stuff from the E3 demo (no spoilers):

2) It's better than most open-world games

This game is comparable to the Elder Scrolls games, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Witcher, and the like. Having played the former three, I can say that this game definitely tops those. This game has a better story than Skyrim, better climbing than Assassin's Creed, and better mechanics than Far Cry. There's several things that this game does right that the other games in the genre were lacking. For example, if you've ever played an open-world Ubisoft game, you're probably familiar with towers / synchronization. BotW has a similar mechanic, which I feel was implemented much better.

Here's a video solidifying this point (mild spoilers):

3) It's a Legend of Zelda game

If you've ever played a LoZ game before, you know what I'm talking about. There's a certain experience you get from LoZ games that you just can't get anywhere else. BotW is no exception. If you want a comparison against what many see to be the best game of all time (Ocarina of Time), then check out this video (no spoilers):

If you're like me, and you already have this game, let others know why this game is great (unless you didn't like it, in which case, go die in a fire tell us why).

If you're hesitant about getting this game, let others know why, and perhaps we can help make up your mind.

Offline McTwist

• Programmer
  • Forum VIP
  • Exceptional Member
  • Scrambled eggs
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Tyzaack
  • Blockland ID: 9845
Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:45:12 AM »
Yes, I would like to buy it, but unfortunately it's not money that is expensive, it's time. I might come over to a friend to play it, but I'll see whenever I get enough time for it. It's a cool game, though.
"I did not bump this topic. I was just late replying."

Offline Boom

• Basement Dweller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »
Given how the game is designed, it's actually pretty easy to pick up and drop. It's not like past Zelda games where dungeons took nearly an hour. The longest single-minded task you really do are the four bosses prior to the final boss. While those dungeons can sometimes take up to 30 to 45 minutes, everything else is on the scale of 5 to 20 minutes.

Offline Flush535

• CANDY CORN VAMPIRE. YEAH.
  • Quad Poster
  • zzzzzz
    • View Profile
  • Blockland ID: 19500
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 11:09:09 PM »
I also have this game. Do you have it on the switch?
Zombie Ace Dick is borderline retarded and usually can't do anything other than bite things and absorb preposterous amounts of damage!

Offline Boom

• Basement Dweller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »
Nope. I bought it for the Wii U, since I already had that console.

Offline Flush535

• CANDY CORN VAMPIRE. YEAH.
  • Quad Poster
  • zzzzzz
    • View Profile
  • Blockland ID: 19500
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:39:57 PM »
ah. I just beat it on the switch. Fantastic game. There's still so much left to do.
Zombie Ace Dick is borderline retarded and usually can't do anything other than bite things and absorb preposterous amounts of damage!

Offline Boom

• Basement Dweller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
Good luck finding all of the Koroks. I'm only at 172.

I've done everything else though (Shrines, Side Quests, Armor Upgrades, etc.).