Author Topic: Rust Group?  (Read 436 times)

Offline Blinkz

• Senior Administrator
  • Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Rust Group?
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »
Kinex and I actively play Rust on New York 1. Were looking of people to help us base build and take on helicopters.

Who wants to join and take on the server with us?

Offline Boom

• Basement Dweller
  • Jukebox Hero (Stars in their eyes)
  • Changing the world one brick at a time.
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Deathwishez
  • Blockland ID: 9740
Re: Rust Group?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
Every time I look at this game, I can't convince myself to buy it. However, I have seen KINEX playing RUST quite a bit over the years.

The game's mixed rating is what always concerned me. I don't want to buy into a game that I'm not going to enjoy.

That said, I'd be happy to hear why you enjoy the game so much, in hopes to convince me and others like me.

Offline Kubius

• Rightful (?) Mayor of Helm City
  • Valued Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rust Group?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:22 PM »
That said, I'd be happy to hear why you enjoy the game so much, in hopes to convince me and others like me.

Well, it's a very unique experience. The biggest upside is also the worst downside - player interaction. Other people are your biggest threat, and while that can lead to exhilarating combat and interesting situations where "kill or be killed" is willingly suspended by both parties, it can also lead to what you've done getting crushed while you're away.

My favorite part is the world and building systems - the game has delightful world generation, and the construction system allows for many cool structure designs. Plus, as a really big bonus, it's graphically stunning - I get ~60 FPS (960, 4690k, 16GB RAM) at one setting below the max and it's one of the prettiest games I've ever played. The sunsets and sunrises in particular are a delight.

The reason it's getting shit on so much by reviews is because the devs tried out an XP system - it hasn't changed the core game itself much, but people are salty about it. The important part here is that the devs have acknowledged this and are already taking steps to fix it - so far, it appears it's not going to go the way of DayZ.

TL:DR - excellent and brutal sandbox game that's in alpha and comes with some of the downsides of that fact. I don't know I'd get it at full price, but half off is excellent.
Quack